[geeks] X font rendering, was Re: [rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 15 16:19:22 CDT 2006

NOTE: I am cc'ing this hear only so you see it.  Moved to geeks
otherwise.

Sat, 13 May 2006 @ 23:37 -0400, der Mouse said:

> > No idea.  It could be this is all done client side and bitmaps just
> > shipped over...
>
> Well, I don't know what XRender provides, but base X font handling
> *can't* do antialiased fonts.

I assume what you mean is that the X server sans extensions and new libraries
doesn't do antialiased fonts.

Freetype became part of X some time ago, at least a couple of years now.

Or maybe you mean you have to use the Xft library.

That's true, but then really good font handling in X has always required
extra libraries because the font support was so bad for years

You can use Xft in all X apps because the server will fall back to character
cell and outline fonts if the Render extension is not available.

I don't know how it will look, but it will probably run well enough to keep
reminding you to upgrade.

> I have.  Not charcell fonts, which may be what you're thinking of, but
> monospaced fonts which aren't charcell, yes.  (The difference between
> monospaced and charcell is that a charcell font has all pixels of each
> character inside the box implied by the ascent, descent, and width; a
> monospaced font has the same width for each character but may have
> pixels outside that box for some - or even all - characters.)

Yep, that's basically it.

However, I didn't think Monaco had any pixels outside its bounding box.

I know two of the others I tried do though. You can see if you fire up a font
editor.

I generally do a terrible job working on fonts, at least so far.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every