[geeks] Gold archival CDs?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Fri May 12 15:02:05 CDT 2006

I read here[0] that someone (Kodak, I think) used to make gold CD-Rs
for archival purposes. I just read here[1] that the reflective
surface is completely irrelevant.

Anyone have any thoughts? If that type of thing is still around, with
good reputation, I'd be interested in knowing where to find it.

(For the interested - right now, when I want to archive something to
CD, I'll use Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-Rs (which use Taiyo-Yuden
dye... and seem to last longer than the Brand X TY discs I got from
supermediastore.com). For DVDs, I don't have a solid brand like that,
but I'll use brands I've heard about - Verbatim, RiData, and a few
others. I'll use Brand X  for most things, though, since there's not
a lot that I archive to optical.)

REAL archival-quality optical media would be a big plus, even better
if there is such a thing for DVD-Rs. I have quite a bit of stuff that
might be worth some extra money to keep around, but isn't worth more
hard drives and headaches maintaining them, or the money for a tape
drive + tapes.

(Of course this is the Holy Grail, and since I want it, it won't
happen until after I'm dead. :)

  - Micah

[0] http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/05/08/backup <- pretty good
post / interesting discussion, though there isn't really an answer
that's solid, cheap, and low-maintenance. Heh.
[1] http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2006-January/
027775.html