[geeks] X: widget rendering without KDE or GNOME, example...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 6 22:32:08 CDT 2006

Sat, 06 May 2006 @ 20:14 -0400, Caleb Shay said:

> On 5/6/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > Here are two screenshots of Open Office running on vanilla fvwm, and again
> > while running KDE. This is just to give an example of how some apps render
> > poorly when not running under KDE or Gnome.
> >
> > Font scaling, widgets, and coloring are all different without KDE
> > loaded.
>
> export GDK_USE_XFT=1
>
> Poof, apps that use GTK+/GDK get antialiasing back. :)

I don't want anti-aliasing, I want subpixel hinting, and if your font files
are correct, you don't have to use the export hack.

In any case, if you'll look at my screenshot, the fonts *DID* have
subpixel rendering like I want them to.

The problem was the scaling was off, especially in the GUI.

Application size and position was also off.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]