[geeks] Proxy question

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu May 4 22:07:17 CDT 2006

I'm looking for inspiration here for ways to solve a problem I haven't
had to try to solve before.

Suppose you have a domain, bar.net, with a single externally visible
host and IP (call it bastion.bar.net).  You also have a virtualhost
elsewhere, at foo.org, which can be (but has not yet been) set up to
answer to www.bar.net.  You don't wish to replicate all your content
onto foo.org, but rather you want all traffic received by foo.org for
www.bar.net:80 to be transparently proxied to bastion.bar.net:81, and
traffic for www.bar.net:443 proxied to bastion.bar.net:444.  You can't
simply use bastion.bar.net:80/443 because they're blocked by bar.net's
ISP; bastion.bar.net will BINAT them to the *real* www.bar.net's ports
80 and 443.

foo.org is running Apache2.  bar.net is running Apache 1.3.

How would you do it?