[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Mar 28 12:44:22 CST 2006

Mon, 27 Mar 2006 @ 19:49 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > As to content viewing, it my my understanding that MS is already
> > completely DRMing up and bending over for the MPAA.  They are already
> > saying that Vista will play no HD content without a proper HDCP
> > compliant video card and monitor.  They are also saying that Vista will
> > not run any driver of any sort that isn't authorized and signed by MS
> > first.  So, no homebrew hardware under Vista (except for maybe USB
> > devices that can be driven entirely from userland).
>
> Oh, joy.  We'll all be running 9-month-old nVidia drivers.  :p  What,
> you have unusual legacy peripherals that MS doesn't have a driver for?
> Sucks to be you....

Microsoft, and a lot of other companies, basically want to turn our
computers into televisions.

Same for the Internet: they want to convert it into a delivery only
system.

If you think about it, it very nearly is one already.

Participatory networking is discouraged everywhere unless wrapped up in
corporate dung.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]