[geeks] value of PIII PC servers

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 23:38:36 CDT 2006

On 6/24/06, Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com> wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I hear good things from some people about Gigabyte, but don't have any
> > experience with them.
>
> I curse Gigabyte every chance I get.  Ditto for MSI.
>
> I'm still sore about those 7 Gigabyte motherboards I've thrown away this
> year because the *exact same* cluster of capacitors blew on all of 'em.

Mine's been fine since I put a big-a$$ heat sink on the north bridge,
though the frickin' rev 1 on-board sound is so crackly that I gave up
using speakers or headphones with it and bought a  USB headset.
Fortunately I don't need to send anything inbound via aux.  Hubby's is
aok, too.

> > Asus seems to be, in general, decent stuff.  Even their VIA based stuff
> > usually just works.
>
> x2 on Asus, Tyan is OK too.

I had good luck with Asus, but my pops had problems with the VIA USB
chipset on his.

> If you want a server-class board you're better off looking at
> Supermicro, Tyan, or Intel.
>
> I have one of these and like it A LOT:
> http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/SE7210TP1-E/index.htm

I have heard good things about SuperMicro and Tyan from my friends who
are into x86 heavily and have strong hardware chops.

=Nadine=