[geeks] Quiet SCSI drives

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Thu Jun 22 10:56:23 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I get nervous buying used, mainly because sellers never tell how old the
> drives are, or what their service time and conditions were.  It would be
> nice if those who tested the drives would put the SMART output on the
> listing.

I usually buy new just for that reason.  You could argue that if you get
enough of 'em (2 or 3 used for the price of 1 new), in combination with
the judicious use of cold spares and RAID1, RAID5 or RAID6, the risks
are minimized.

Bad part about eBay... you can get new drives from Newegg - shipped -
for less than their buy-it-now prices :rollseyes:

The models I listed were released to market within the last 4 years, and
a lot of used drives off eBay will still have the manufacturer's
warranty - you just gotta be careful of Sun, HP, Dell, etc pulls, as the
manufacturer won't warranty those.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com