[geeks] Is there an "Idiot's Guide to Co-Location"?

Robert Staab rstaab at panix.com
Mon Jul 31 14:25:35 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 06:12:08PM +0100, Paul Booth wrote:
> On 7/31/06, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:
> >
> > That's a start, I'm sure others have more to add, or comments on what
> > I've started with.  It's been a few years since I've been colo shopping,
> > so I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of big ones.

SLA - Service Leve Agreement - If they violate one of more of these, what do you get out of it? An apology letter? Money paid back? How much? Capped monthly?

Insurance they carry. What happens if one of their cages falls on you, are you covered on their insurance?

Access agreements. How hard is it to add/delete people from the access list. How fast can you get a new person on the list temporarily / permanently?

How hard is it to remove equipment off hours for repair? Can you walk out with it? Is it tracked? Can you only remove equipment during daylight/ business hours?

Security of the building. Is it a dump that you need to carry a full magazine when you visit it at 3AM? Or is it well lit with a pravate guarded garage where you drive in, park and are already to ride the elevator up to the Datacenter floor?

- Rob