[geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Jul 30 02:17:08 CDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 10:10:03AM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > Where?  I've not seen ANY official Google-branded/funded deployments
> > of BPL past the testing phase.
> Isn't there one somewhere in Texas? Another in "middle America"?

I've heard of tests, but not of any "production" deployments.

Hrm..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication#Broadband_over_power_lines

"Recently, Motorola has announced a new Low Voltage Access BPL system that has a reduced potential for interference over the Amperion Inc. and Current Technologies LLC systems. The American Radio Relay League was invited by Motorola to participate with these tests, and even installed the Motorola system at their headquarters. Preliminary results were very positive with regard to interference."

"United States, Virginia: In October 2005 the city of Manassas began the first wide-scale deployment of BPL service in the nation, offering 10 Mbit/s service for under $30 USD per month to its 35,000 city residents. On June 16, 2006 FCC directed the Manassas BPL System to resolve Amateurs' interference complaints. The FCC minced no words in detailing what it wants the city and BPL operator COMTek to do to ensure its system complies with Part 15 rules governing BPL systems and even hinted that it may shut down all or part of the system."

then there's http://www.bpldatabase.org/listing/

I dont see any massive wide-scale deployments or anything really past
testing-phase.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford