[geeks] Interesting ATI/AMD news

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jul 30 01:52:12 CDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 01:43:51AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I'd say they're more likely to roll out WiFi than BPL. (what is, it, SanFran,
> where they're doing it now?)

They are much more likely to roll out BPL, IMHO. They already have in
several cites, the press loves it, and it does not require any sort
of license. Municipal WiFi networks require licenses in most places,
there is the threat that the city will claim to start one and put
you out of business (how well I know that), and someone else can
do it to.

Since there is only one power company per area, they only have
one deal to cut. Since Google is funding them, they can afford to
loose money for a long time.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838