[geeks] RHCE advice

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 24 11:39:29 CDT 2006

I have no exp. with certifications, but some of my recent reading in trade magazines leads me to believe that certifications (in general at the entry to mid-level - not the high-level, coveted Cisco security and network planning certifications) are to be seriously considered. The result of numerous "certification mills" is that a great many employers have been burned and will look *unfavorably* on someone who is certified. This will, of course, vary by geographic region, but it should be taken into consideration...

>From your post, it seems like you are at an employer you hope to stay with, and that posession of this certification would in fact reflect positively on you - in that case, I would encourage you in your efforts. If you want to make yourself attractive to a new employer I'd think twice...

As for the exam, given your background (12+ years exp. working with Linux) I'd suggest sitting down with the list of topics covered and making an honest self-assessment of your abilities, and focus on any weaknesses you uncover. Once you feel comfortable in your knowledge I'd *invest* $749 and take the test, with the dual goals of either passing the test on your first try, or to learn what was missing in your education and using that as a tool to focus your next efforts to pass on your second try.

I like books (in general), but I suspect that any books you will find will miss the mark of "filling in the holes" in an experienced Admin.'s background to complete the test. My bet is you will find most books either are a "Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux" type book, or a "cram" book that simply regurgitates info in the hopes you can retain it until you take the test...

Best of luck!

Lionel