[geeks] X11 forwarding over ssh: hostname resolution

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 14:29:37 CDT 2006

Michael Parson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:34:59AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> I have never been able to get X11 forwarding working on Cygwin, myself.
>>
>> The display variable never gets set on the remote side.
>
> Odd.
>
> Never had a problem with it myself, use it on occasion myself, but
> usually I do the ssh sessions from an xterm rather than from the cmd
> window running bash.  Putty does the right thing with cygwin's X11 too.

I've tried it from a regular Command Prompt window, a zsh session in a
dos box and also from an xterm.  It never works.  I always have my
DISPLAY set to 127.0.0.1:0.0 on the local side.  I use a command line
that looks like:

ssh -c blowfish -C -X powerhouse.ikickass.org

It just plain doesn't work.

Peace...  Sridhar