[geeks] Wireless Routers

Thu Jul 6 23:50:00 CDT 2006

> Because -surely- it's impossible for a device to present a fire or
> injury hazard when it's "only" working with 12VDC or less.

Basically.  That's the whole point of the Class 2 wiring rules: low
voltage is safer.  You would have to work quite hard to electrocute
yourself with 5V; it's close enough to impossible to do it accidentally
that the possibility can be ignored.  I don't know whether the same
rules apply to the sort of thing for which the term "energy hazard"
came into use, but if so, I think they shouldn't.

But the wiring coming out of a wall-wart (or for that matter power
bricks with cords, such as some laptops use) is just what those rules
are for.  Short a wall-wart and nothing much happens.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca