[geeks] Wireless Routers

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue Jul 4 01:52:06 CDT 2006

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> So, do there exist wireless routers that are ACTUALLY wireless
> routers, and not wireless NAT boxes?
>
> I'd like to use 802.11g to go between a pair of buildings.  Each
> building has a different and separate IP network (and should stay
> that way), so wireless bridges won't exactly work.  Each building has
> independent Internet access (through DSL, so talking between
> buildings is a little slow, hence this project), so they don't need
> to pretend to be NAT boxes.

Actual wireless *routers* do exist, but it comes down to "what's your
budget"?

You could use:

 * A wireless-equipped Cisco 870-series router
 * A wireless-equipped fixed-configuration Cisco 1800-series router
 * A Cisco 1841 (or 2800 series) router with an HWIC-AP module
 * A Linux or *BSD machine (or two) with a Cisco wireless card
 * some combination of the above

That all assumes that one HWIC-AP can talk to another in client mode or
in ad-hoc mode - there's no guarantee that such is possible.

Other vendors may also produce true routers, but Cisco is what I know best.

If you haven't already you should also try to do a site survey; wireless
may not even be remotely feasible due to range and potential sources of
interference.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com