[geeks] what's the best pda?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Thu Dec 28 12:44:31 CST 2006

Thus spake Jon Gilbert:
> Alright I haven't used a PDA since the Palm IIIxe, which I hated
> because the memory would be erased after 5 minutes of no batteries,
> or if you put the batteries in backwards. But I liked its durable
> construction with the folding door that flipped over the screen (a
> feature which the Apple Newton also had). But the memory being erased
> twice on me was too much, so I switched back to good ol' paper pads
> with Pilot G2 pens.
>
> But now it's been 5 years since I've had a PDA and I feel like
> testing the PDA waters again. Surely with the pace of technology,
> there is something now in the PDA market that has memory which can't
> be erased so easily, and which is at least as durable as a Newton or
> IIIxe. So here are my requirements.
>
> The device should have:
> * a decent LCD with a plastic or metal door that closes over it which
> is built into the device (i.e. I want it to be durable enough to
> survive in my pocket without any extra case).
> * relatively thin and compact.
> * prefer Li-Ion replaceable battery, though AAA's would be OK i guess.
> * prefer true handwriting recognition (but could live with graffiti).
> * has bluetooth and wifi.
> * supports MacOS X.
> * accepts SD cards.
> * comes with a USB (hopefully 2.0) dock for syncing.
> * a decently loud speaker for alarms.
> * headset/mic port for VOIP would be cool (not sure if they have this
> yet).
>
> I don't care so much about it doubling as a cell phone or having a
> QWERTY keyboard (if it's bluetooth I can just get an external
> keyboard for those times when I need such functionality). I don't
> care about it being a music player in any way. I would rather it had
> really good handwriting recognition than QWERTY, since I have very
> good handwriting and I'm fast with that.
>
> If there is no device that matches most of these basic criteria, then
> what kind of crack are the hardware developers smoking? Thanks.

Normally I would suggest a Newton but you mentioned small so that's out.

My choice for all-around E-Book/PDA/good battery life is the m500/m505 Palms.

No wifi or bluetooth but they take SD up to 2gig and are lightweight and
can be had with a metal case for little money.  They work with Mac, PC,
and Linux.  Greyscale but worth it for the extra battery life in my book.

Mike Hebel
----
"Inga: He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: That goes without saying.
Inga: Voof!
Igor: He's going to be very popular. " -- Young Frankenstein, Mel
Brooks/Gene Wilder