[geeks] Routing problem: solution in progress

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Dec 27 00:08:12 CST 2006

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

>> I might take a look. I've not built a kernel for it yet. Too many
>> other distractions, and I am not bothered much by the stock kernel
>> yet.
>
> What's pf's big advantage over IPFilter?  Performance?  Simplicity?
> Shorter data path?

1) Tables, including external tables.
    Tables are lists of IP addresses, IP networks, or address/port
    combinations which receive the exact same treatment for a given rule.
    The typical hack using this employs log-parser to look for SSH or
    SMTP abuse and drops the new offenders in a table to deny daemon
    access.

2) Slightly simpler configuration syntax.
    You can, for example, use interfaces instead of IP address in more
    places, as well as the aforementioned tables.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and