[geeks] networking notworking complete with unusual routing

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Dec 21 18:07:33 CST 2006

I finally got all the pieces together to have dual WAN access from my
home LAN. However, for some reason I can't make it work, even though
I've done this in the past several times.

Situation:

I have several machines on a local private LAN: 192.168.1.0/24.

One of them, 192.168.1.2 is the local gateway, DNS, mail, etc server, a
Sun Ultra 1 running NetBSD 3.1.  It has a PPP connection to my ISP.

For years, that was also my WAN gateway.

A few months ago I created a temporary fast route to the net on my
desktop using a cheap wireless card, using a friend's wireless network
connection to broadband.

This week I got a Linksys wireless gateway and a Sun X1059A ethernet
card, so I can make this accessible to all of my machines.

The goal:

The router, a Sun Ultra 1 with dual happy meals running NetBSD 3.1, is
the gateway, email, and DNS machine for my LAN.

I want all other machines to use it to get out to the net.

All ISP traffic (news, mail, DNS) will go out over the PPP connection to
my ISP.  Everything else I want to go to the wireless network's NAT box.

My private LAN is 192.168.1/24 and the wireless LAN is 192.168.100/24.

The gateway machine is 192.168.1.2 (hme0) and it has an address on the
other network of 192.168.100.251 (hme1). The wireless bridge is a WAP54G
with an IP of 192.168.100.250.

This should be pretty simple, but I can't make it work.

Current gateway configuration:

	IP:                     192.168.1.2
	default route:          192.168.100.1
	static net route:       192.168.1/24 hme0
	static net route:       192.168.1/24 hme1
	static ISP route:       whatever the current local PPP address is
	DNS master:             my ISP's master DNS machine

The gateway machine can reach everything perfectly, DNS is working, and
forwarding is enabled in the kernel. The machine can send email, run a
squid proxy, and do everything except packet forwarding for the rest of
my LAN.

The former configuration used ipnat.conf rules to send everything out
over the PPP links, of course, but now I have access to a NAT box on
the other network. I removed the NAT rules completely, and for the time
being I turned off the firewall as well.

I can't seem to coax the NetBSD machine into forwarding anything for
other hosts, and I can't figure out why.  I'm sure its something stupid.

Does anyone have an example of a similar configuration (surely I'm not
the only one), or a pointer to one on the net?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["All of us get lost in the darkness,
dreamers turn to look at the stars" -- Rush ]