[geeks] more Solaris serial help

brian.dunbar at liftport.com brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Tue Dec 19 18:35:04 CST 2006

All,

It's late, I need to rebuild a server sometime between oh, now and
tomorrow a.m.  I can't get the server to boot (botched mirror creation
left the boot disk inop)

It's a new Sun V210.  The problem is I can't drop the damned thing to the
OK prompt so I can reboot from CD and reinstall the OS.  Long ago we
fiddled with the actual terminal server so it could NOT issue a break to
the servers so that's right out.  I did connect a cable between the serial
port on a V120 and the V210.  I can login to the V120 and issue

tip hardwire

and LO I can see the consle of the V210.  Success is within my reach ..

Alas.  When I do this it just ignores me, the bastard.

Rebooting with command: boot
Boot device: /pci at 1c,600000/scsi at 2/disk at 0,0:a  File and args:
~B
SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_118833-24 64-bit

Where '~B' is the magic sequence that is supposed to issue a break to the
server, drop it to the OK prompt.  I can issue ~? which brings up the
tips' menu of supported escape sequnces.

Any ides what I'm doing wrong?

brian