[geeks] Shared Firewire Disk?

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 13:58:11 CST 2006

sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org> said:

> I just feel that I should note that you'd better make damn sure
> you're using a filesystem that can handle being shared storage this
> way.  Cluster filesystems can, such as OCFS and Apple's Xsan stuff,
> but AFAIK none of the most common server or desktop fses can.  You
> WILL corrupt your data doing this with UFS, HFS or ext2.  I don't
> know about ZFS.

<snip>

I'll be running VxFS, so the FS isn't the problem...it's all whether the OS
kernel module for 1394 supports shared access or not.  I'm starting to get
the idea that, while the IEEE spec says that it's part of the protocol,
nobody is using it.

Thanks!

--
bc3c: there are only a few things people really want... food, shelter, and
no ED