[geeks] ZFS in OSX

Jeremy Grosser synack at csh.rit.edu
Mon Dec 18 10:55:05 CST 2006

No, Apple has not included ZFS in any of the developer builds of
Leopard up to now, so it is unlikely that we will see ZFS in 10.5. It
is still possible that they have it working behind closed doors in
Cupertino.

If you want to work on getting ZFS support in OSX, you might want to
look at FUSE [1]. Essentially, it is a kernel module that allows you
to load new filesystems in userspace for Linux/FreeBSD. ZFS has
already been ported to FUSE [2] though it only works read-only at the
moment. If FUSE were ported to OSX, we would instantly get support
for a ton of esoteric and unique filesystems [3].

So, short answer is no, there is currently no support for ZFS in OSX
either from Apple or a third party, but there are plenty of people
asking about it, so I'd expect you'll see some form of ZFS on OSX in
the future.

[1] http://fuse.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/
[3] http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems