[geeks] Shared Firewire Disk?

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 15:35:24 CST 2006

Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> said:
> What are you going for? Huge as possible HD in a fireire case, with multiple firewire cable running to one (or more) Sun workstations? Sounds odd... Interesting, but odd.
>
> Why not add the firewire drive to a Sun box and then share it over Ethernet (you could even add Ethernet ports and make a dedicated storage network that parallels your "regular" network)...
>
> Not sure what the gain would be with shared Firewire, and it would likely not work with Solaris, but good luck!
<snip>

Really just want _some_ sort of shared storage for clustering
testing...and I don't want to have to buy another HBA.  I know that
MacOS X can do shared firewire, and so can Linux, but dunno about
Solaris 10.  I know that the question was asked of the Solaris
developers, before launch, and they said that it would be supported,
but dunno the reality.

Thanks!

--
bc3c: there are only a few things people really want... food, shelter, and no ED