[geeks] Shared Firewire Disk?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 16 13:13:19 CST 2006

>From: "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks at gmail.com>
>Date: 2006/12/16 Sat AM 12:36:22 CST
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [geeks] Shared Firewire Disk?

>Has anyone here ever tried to use the shared-device functionality of
>IEEE-1394(a) or IEEE-1394b?  I'm trying to setup a cheap-as possible
>shared storage device on Solaris/sparc.
>
>Any experience/suggestions would be welcome.
>
>Thanks!

What are you going for? Huge as possible HD in a fireire case, with multiple firewire cable running to one (or more) Sun workstations? Sounds odd... Interesting, but odd.

Why not add the firewire drive to a Sun box and then share it over Ethernet (you could even add Ethernet ports and make a dedicated storage network that parallels your "regular" network)...

Not sure what the gain would be with shared Firewire, and it would likely not work with Solaris, but good luck!

Lionel