[geeks] Metal Halide Bulbs

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Dec 13 03:41:59 CST 2006

" From: "Aaron Finley" <aaronfinley at gmail.com>
"
" So I have a case of what I believe are Philips MH250-U bulbs. 250W
" Metal Halide, 21,000 initial lumens, something along those lines. The
" box was sealed in a Philips HID container and as such there are twelve
" of these rather large, very interesting looking bulbs.
"
" Anybody want some of these?
"
" Or, I wonder what nifty things I could rig up. I know I'd need a
" ballast. I grow bonsai, so this could be beneficial. Room lighting?

this thing would light up a basketball court.

" These bulbs seems to insist on their own level of not being safe,
" however, as the warning label states that they might explode and there
" are other bulbs on the market that would not. Could one make their own
" reflector, housing, or would that be an invitiation for disaster?

my first reaction - a streetlight head or commercial outdoor spotlight
fixture, such as are used by museums.  has the ballast and would
contain any explosion.