[geeks] Mandatory password changes

John Francini francini at mac.com
Sun Dec 10 08:11:20 CST 2006

Well, I have to say that, while this one's arguments are a bit over
the top, there is something to be said for the concept of personal
responsibility.

In a corporate setting, I can see requiring frequent password
changes, because nearly everything an employee can access with a
password is information that belongs to the company, and corporate IT
needs to be able to protect it as they see fit.  A good analogy here
would be to consider the password the same as a key to (physical)
secured areas where corporate assets are kept. The corporation
reserves the right to control that access as they see fit, as they
are the corporation's assets, not the employee's.

In a University or public setting, the rules should be entirely
different.  Here, the only information you can access is either your
own or that which the school keeps on your behalf. This means that,
yes, if you share your password with someone else and they then
violate that trust (by doing nasty stuff like dropping you from
classes, dropping you from the University, etc.), then that's your
problem for having given them access in the first place.  The
physical analogy here would be giving another student the key to your
dorm room, off-campus apartment, etc., and discovering that the other
student trashed the place.  This is your problem for having misplaced
your trust.

So what's going on here is that the school is trying to provide a
modicum of protection for the student who doesn't bother to protect
him/herself -- by forcing a password change on the most 'natural'
interval, the beginning of a new school year.  On the one hand, it
could be considered nannying.  On the other hand, it could be
considered simple prudence.

As an example from the physical world, in my high school, they
changed all the combinations to all the lockers every year.  Thus,
even if you had the same locker from one year to the next (you
didn't), you would have to remember a new locker combination. Nor
could you open your previous locker and rummage through another
student's stuff.

The funny thing is, as a kid, I would never -- NEVER -- ever even
think about giving another kid my locker combination.  And if I was
given someone else's for a specific purpose, I'd make a point of
forgetting it the moment that purpose was completed.

john