[geeks] And Verizon scores again

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Dec 9 13:57:54 CST 2006

The fun goes on ... Verizon sent out a technician yesterday morning to
mark the provisioned wire pair for Covad for our impending new Speakeasy
DSL service.  In the course of "marking" the wire pair, he managed to
lose our dial tone, although DSL still worked (so I didn't realize
immediately that the phones were offline).  After I discovered the lack
of dial tone and called in a trouble ticket from the neighbor, they sent
out a second technician, who prodeeced to break DSL connectivity as
well.  He then looked at the mess in the NTI, said "I'm not trained on
DSL and I can't make head or tail of the mess in here, I'll have them
send a DSL-trained tech out tomorrow", and left, leaving us totally
isolated -- no DSL, no POTS, and no cellular signal at the ouse with NExtel.

We just got connectivity back about ten minutes ago.  The third Verizon
tech just left, after tearing out and rewiring everything from the
street to the outside wall.  The NTI was a mess, and the phone drop was
wrapped twice around the power lines, which can't possibly have been
improving anything.

The good news is, one jack on the dual jack right next to my desk is
apparently now connected to the provisioned pair for Covad, which in
theory means I should be able to just plug the Broadxent bridge right
into it and not need any inside work from Covad at all.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location