[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 12:05:51 CST 2006

On 12/7/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Here's what I see as their value added crap:
>
>         - a home page specific to the service where you can pay bills
>           and look at some "exclusive" content that everyone else
>           has too
>         - some coupons for computer hardware, and occasional online deals
>           for subscribers
>         - some deals on software, which of course is always for Windows
>         - some fancy wizard-ware for Windows (again) that suffices to take
>           standard and relatively easy network connection and turn it into
>           a non-standard nightmare dependent on a Windows box
>         - some help desk software that no one uses unless things go wrong,
>           at which point they want to use the telephone
>
> Is there something else I'm missing?

I don't know if they're still doing it, as I've since switched to AT&T, but
last
season Comcast offered live streaming video of NHL games to their
subscribers via their portal.  Video quality was so-so, and the stream was
prone to skipping at times, but it was better than nothing.  Aside from
that,
they can keep the rest of their "value-added" crap.