[geeks] IBM rant

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Fri Dec 1 01:49:04 CST 2006

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Yes, but they're typically labeled for SAS rather than SATA.  The SATA
> offerings I've seen are just software RAID.

No, they quite specifically make SATA RAID *and* SAS RAID, and LSI Logic
never produced a SATA softraid card. You'll see them on their web site:
http://www.lsil.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/index.html

Among the LSI Logic hardware RAID cards are the MegaRAID SATA 150-4,
SATA 150-6, SATA 300-4XLP and SATA 300-8X.

The SATA cards predate the SAS cards by several years, I was using a
SATA 150-6 back in 2003.

The latter 3 even have connectors for a BBU for the on-board cache.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com