[geeks] DVD based backup software

Wed Aug 30 11:09:37 CDT 2006

>> Well, yes.  g4u sucks for most routine backup purposes - but then,
>> hammers suck for opening bags of flour, too.
> g4u sucks even doing what it was designed for too.
> Have you ever used it?

Yes, yes, I have.  Perhaps my bar for "it sucks" is higher than yours.

> It really is terribly slow.

> It might run faster with something like Larry McVoy's dd, or another
> variation which reads and write more intelligently.

I wrote a dd-alike that was specifically designed to overlap reading
and writing (one process for each, with data passed beween them through
shared memory), so I know a little about that.  Such things can give
you at most a factor of two speedup, usually less because the producer
and consumer are running at widely disparate data rates.  (Unless you
have unusually slow disk or unusually fast network.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca