[geeks] Now for something completely geek

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 21:16:00 CDT 2006

On 8/27/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> When I managed about 10 software testers a few years ago, I had a policy of NOT asking anyone to work overtime unless it was absolutely neccessary, which it turned out was about once every quarter (testers all worked on independent projects and managed their own timelines). My policy was tht if I asked, it was important - other managers used their employees spare time to make friends in other departments.
>
> And yes, I viewed defelecting flak frm higher-ups as "Job One" - praise from other groups went directly to the employee(s) involved from the other groups, complaints were made to me directly, and I worked the issue with the employee myself.
>
> I can't imagine managing employees anyother way, though many seem to work that way..

Me neither.  We're all grown-ups--I expect them to do their job, and
as far as I am concerned running interference so they can do their job
is mine.  And making "friends" with managers in other departments
certainly isn't my job.  If my team has that much time on their hands,
then the best use of it is to getting them training on something
*they* want to learn that's within specs for the team's
tasks/mission/goals and/or grooming them for their next promotion
(which could be out depending on where they are).

Sounds like I could work for Lionel the manager.

=Nadine=