[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Sat Aug 26 12:55:58 CDT 2006

On 8/24/06 8:13 PM, Mike Meredith wrote:

>> [1] Oh, the arguments I got into with the management at my previous
>> job.
>>
>>      $boss:  Why are you just getting in[2] at 3pm?
>
> Classic case of incompetent micromanagement. Neanderthals who don't
> trust their staff to work if they aren't there to crack the whip ... and
> never mind they aren't there when the work *really* gets done.

On my last job, I was actually pleasantly surprised by a suit in that
regard. I was a tad pissed off when the project manager asked me (and a few
others) to come in on Saturday in order to try to hold a deadline we already
knew was unrealistic. The pleasantly surprising bit was that the suit in
question showed up himself, too. Not to crack the whip, but to take on the
role of coffee lady and prepare lunch for all the developers.

The deadline was missed, by the way. The same suit worked hard to deflect
the flak that we were going to receive for that.

I wish there were more suits that understand how you can make people *want*
to put in a little extra. And that their job is to shield the *actual*
workers from crap from up-high.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--