[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Aug 26 10:17:28 CDT 2006

Fri, 25 Aug 2006 @ 09:12 -0400, Sandwich Maker said:

> " From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> "
> " Of course, they usually copied it from the barbarians around them, who
> " were more advanced than we give them credit for.
> "
> " The romans just had a knack for assimilation and pragmatism, and since
> " they had good education and writing skills, they put it all to better
> " use.
>
> that sounds like the catholic church too.  gee, you don't suppose...?

Not sure what your point is.

Also, I am not sure the RCC put it to "good use".

The romans, for all their warts, made life better for nearly everyone.

The church often did the opposite.

Of course, the irony is that at the same time the church was destroying
knowledge, they were also one of the few organizations preserving any of
it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in