[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 24 10:00:41 CDT 2006

Thu, 24 Aug 2006 @ 08:20 +0300, sammy ominsky said:

> On 24/08/2006, at 06:50, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > I avoid ever having to waste my time, and go on with life.
> > How would you "get on with life" if this happened all the time?
>
> It's a minor annoyance, but yes, it is annoying.  I don't know how to
> tell them to stop in a way that they'll understand.  "It's just an
> SMS that you don't pay for, and maybe you'll like the deal!" is the
> response I've gotten.

That's pretty typical.  Not much different from the spammers who say
"just hit delete".

On that note, has anyone noticed a huge increase in SPAM, especially
SPAM that gets past filtering, in the last month or two?  I'm getting
hammered and am starting to have to spend a lot of time deleting it on
at least two primary accounts I use.

> > When people put up with this kind of crap, the rest of us get stuck
> > with it too.
>
> I agree.  I never said I *like* receiving these SMS ads (Actually
> MMS, with graphics), just adding to what you said by pointing out
> that they're already here in some parts of the world.  In one way
> you're fortunate in the US not to have a real 3G network with all the
> benefits and drawbacks.

I'm not sure if that's true or not.  We now have a lot of cell phone
networks selling broadband, television, and other services over the cell
networks.

Is that part of a particular generation?

> > I don't care if the air time is free or not, *MY* time isn't free,
> > and neither is my sanity and privacy.  I also don't like a world
> > where I'm bombarded with ads all the  time.  It already sucks, I
> > don't want it to get worse.
>
> Bad news.  It's only going to get worse.

Probably, but it doesn't have to.

I think if it gets worse for us, we should work hard to make it worse
for the other side as well.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty