[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 24 09:56:11 CDT 2006

Thu, 24 Aug 2006 @ 03:12 -0400, der Mouse said:

> > I don't think going UTC would work out.  People are too funny about
> > that.
>
> > Even in the military a lot of people refuse to use zulu time.
>
> But is that because of anything inherent to it, or because they have to
> also live in a world that tries to be within an hour or two of matching
> up local solar noon with 12:00?  I suspect it's the latter.

No, I am talking about cases where they really are supposed to be using
zulu, mostly aboard ships at sea.  Some of the 'brass brats' have even
demanded their home local time zones.

It's against the rules, it causes confusion, and the techs that I
talked to about it have to clean up the messes.

Now think about what a mess in peacetime becomes in wartime.

NOTE: I'm not talking about maintaining a base local timezone, which
they'll all do, even ships at sea.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty