[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Thu Aug 24 09:15:30 CDT 2006

adh at an.bradford.ma.us writes:

>why not decimal time while you're at it?  100 sec/min, 100 min/hr,
>10 hr/day.  1 new sec = 0.864 old sec.

>ten day weeks.  [these are actually an old idea; ancient egypt used
>them before the invention of the 'modern' calendar]

Ah, that egyptian calendar was so nice.

12 30-day months.
weeks aligned on month boundaries
5-day festival at the end of the year to round it out.

As opposed to the earliest version of the Roman calendar (a few
thousand years later) that we use - 10 months, 30 or 31 days each,
and a roughly 60-day period that didn't count, over the winter. And
when they filled in the winter with a few more months, it was still
so bad they had a "leap month" called Mercedonius that was occasionally
thrown in to the middle of February, often for political reasons
(to screw with the timing of elections?).

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------