[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Thu Aug 24 02:14:14 CDT 2006

>> How would you "get on with life" if this happened all the time?
> It's a minor annoyance, but yes, it is annoying.  I don't know how to
> tell them to stop in a way that they'll understand.  "It's just an
> SMS that you don't pay for, and maybe you'll like the deal!" is the
> response I've gotten.

"Yes I do pay for it; I paid a minute of my time, and that's $1.50 at
my usual rates.  Furthermore, that's a best case; if it arrived when I
was driving, or worse, asleep, the disruption would be much more."

I came within a whisker of canceling my cell service because the
provider kept SMSing me ads despite my asking them to stop - usually in
the morning when I was asleep.  They took all the info for my
cancellation and then said "is there any way we can make it all
better?" (paraphrased).  They gave me $5 off each of my next six
months' bills, *and* haven't done it again since, a resolution I'm okay
with.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca