[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Thu Aug 24 02:03:54 CDT 2006

> Do you mean ONE timezone for the planet?

I certainly did.

> Ugh.

> That would never work - only one "region" would have normal times
> (similar to "the olden days"), everyone else would have (seemingly)
> bizzare times for things like "high noon", "sun rise", evening,
> etc...

...so?  Local noon is 12:00 in only very thin strips these days anyway;
it can be off by as much as half an hour, or more if the timezone
boundaries have been fudged (which they have been in most places, based
on the timezone maps I've seen).  I don't see what's so bizarre about
having daylight hours being, say, 23:30 to 12:30 instead of 07:00 to
20:00.

It would take some getting used to, but so will any flag day; I predict
that if any large-enough area switches (say, Canada, or the EU) that
within a year most people will have more or less forgotten it was ever
any other way (ie, they'll remember that only if they specifically
think about it) - and most of the exceptions will be people who have
occasion to interface with areas that haven't switched.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca