[geeks] DVD based backup software

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Aug 21 14:57:08 CDT 2006

For years I've used a Perl program called cddump that does multi-volume
backups to CD-R, and it works well enough.

However, the code is bad and the author abandoned it to work on a new
utility.

Does anyone know of any decent UNIX software for doing backups to CD and
DVD media, with multi-volume an absolute requirement?

Almost everything I've tried either sucks or is very incomplete.

I tried things like Amanda, but didn't like how they worked.  The CD/DVD
backends feel like a bad hack, and the media requirements were IMHO
rather stupid, especially the need to pre-label backup tapes (mostly
Amanda).

I revisit this topic every 6 months or so, in my now N years long
attempt to find something worth a damn.

I piddle with the cddump code now and then and I might at least modify
it to handle DVD smoothly, but its far from perfect.  I use it because
it does at least work, as far as it goes anyway.

Here's to hoping I've missed something that really does the trick.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.