[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Mon Aug 21 14:07:00 CDT 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, sammy ominsky wrote:
> Does anyone in this conversation actually have a phone with GPS?  My
> wife's Motorola E1000 has AGPS and there's a selector in Settings to
> turn it on or off.  It's off by default.

No, but I have a poor man's GPS app that triangulates my location
based on what cell towers I can see and their relative strengths
at any given time.  I have to name each location so it can spit
it back at me if I'm in that location again.  Pretty pointless
actually.

There are a couple of apps for my phone that will intercept an
appropriately-formed text message and reply back automatically.  I'd
love to have that app integrated with a GPS on my cellphone so I could
send it a "Smithers[1], where the hell are you?" message in the event
it was lost or stolen.

-DanD

[1]  For syncing and voice-dialing purposes, my cellphone's name is Smithers.

# "All our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike
# -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have."  -Einstein