[geeks] Looking for a Filesystem

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Mon Aug 21 12:20:07 CDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Caleb Shay wrote:
> > Ext2 Filesystem Driver: These seem to have issues with removable
> > drives.  They work fine for a fixed disk, but cause lovely blue
> > screens with removable drives.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Removeable = floppy or Removeable = external hard disk?  I only need it
> to work with the latter.  I could care less about floppies/zip disks/usb
> flash.

Removable = anything that could be removed, including USB and FireWire
drives.  This MAY have improved, I gave up on it about a year ago and
went the VMware route (a 32MB virtual machine has pretty much zero
noticable overhead on modern hardware).  The really telling part about
this was that I could get higher throughput rates going via smb to the
vm than I could with the native disk formatted as ntfs.

Caleb