[geeks] Looking for a Filesystem

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Mon Aug 21 00:11:49 CDT 2006

On 8/20/06, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Parson wrote:

> > Your best bet is probably ext2.
> >
> > There are ext2 drivers for win32 out there.
>
> Intriguing.
>
> Is the r/w ext2 support in NetBSD stable enough for production use?
>
> Are any of the ext2 drivers for Windows stable enough for production use?

In my experience with the ext2 from win32, you have 2 options:

Explore2fs:  Gives you a separate file browser for your ext2
filesystems, but you have to copy the file to the local fat/ntfs
filesystem to be able to do anything with it, including read anything
except for plain text using the built-in text viewer.

Ext2 Filesystem Driver: These seem to have issues with removable
drives.  They work fine for a fixed disk, but cause lovely blue
screens with removable drives.

Caleb