[geeks] Looking for a Filesystem

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Sun Aug 20 20:46:03 CDT 2006

On 8/20/06, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for a filesystem.  It needs to satisfy the following
> requirements:
>
> 1.      Read/write under NetBSD.
> 2.      Read under Windows XP.  Write would be a plus.
> 3.      Needs to be able to store >4GB files.
> 4.      Needs to be able to have a fs size >500GB.

I'll give you my solution for a similar problem where s/NetBSD/Linux/g.

I formatted my entire Firewire drive as ext3 (for Linux).  Under
Windows, I'm running the free VMware Server that starts up a  stripped
down Linux VM on boot that has the firewire drive mapped as a raw
device and exports the filesystem via Samba, so Windows sees it is a
network share, but it is accessing it via the VMware virtual network
adapter, effectively loopback.

There is no reason that I know of you couldn't do the same thing and
replace the Linux VM with a NetBSD one.

Caleb