[geeks] Looking for a Filesystem

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 20:05:35 CDT 2006

James Fogg wrote:
>> I'm looking for a filesystem.  It needs to satisfy the following
>> requirements:
>>
>> 1.	Read/write under NetBSD.
>> 2.	Read under Windows XP.  Write would be a plus.
>> 3.	Needs to be able to store >4GB files.
>> 4.	Needs to be able to have a fs size >500GB.
>>
>> Any ideas?  This is for an external firewire drive.  Right
>> now I'm using NFS over GigE, but it's *waay* too slow.
>

> Are you looking for a disk filesystem or a transfer protocol?
>
> And on a related note, I hear that Linux should soon be able to
> read/write NTFS, and that would fill your needs if it can be made to run
> on BSD.

I am looking for a disk filesystem.

The problem with the speed using NFS is a problem inherent to the speed
of the network.  I can't take the machine down, and the GigE network to
which it is attached is under significant load.  Switching to FTP or
SFTP doesn't really make any difference.

However, since the drive will have a Firewire 800 bus all to itself, it
should work much faster.

Peace...  Sridhar