[geeks] Dos and similar games

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 19 15:18:41 CDT 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/08/19 Sat PM 02:56:36 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Dos and similar games

>Fri, 18 Aug 2006 @ 19:03 -0400, Nadine said:
>
>> On 8/18/06, Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:
>> > At least one passenger who freaked out on a plane recently has been
>> > killed by the other passengers who wrestled him to the ground and sat
>> > on him to hold him down where he suffocated.  I really don't have a
>> > problem with that.  (Although carrying a few sets of disposable plastic
>> > restraints and training a flight crew on how to use them isn't a
>> > bad policy.)
>>
>> I tried to find a reference to that incident, but wasn't able to--I
>> remember it quite vividly because after the investigation, no charges
>> were laid against any of those who pinned the passenger down.
>>
>> I'm thinking it was shortly before 9/11 but my memory may be
>> faulty--but I know it was not that recent.  It got a lot of press in
>> California because it was on a fairly short commuter flight.
>
>I don't see any reason to specifically address this.
>
>Incidents where people act in error or acciently hurt someone have been
>happening for millenia, why should it suddenly be a big issue?
>
>I hate how people hyper-focus on normal events just because of where
>they might occur.
>
>On a plane, a bus, or open field somewhere... it's always happened and
>always will, and it is a waste of time to try and nanny it out of
>civilization.

Snakes on a plane.

Doesn't really relate, but I just saw it - pretty good, actually - but then, my expectations were pretty low... It was a mash-up between Pulp Fiction, the Airport series of movies, and Soul Plane. What was nice for me was that they didn't waste too much time on the back story - I think the plane was in the air within 12 minutes of the movie starting...

The was a bit of "Saving Private Ryan" too, in the constant intensity of the "snake action" - like the opening "D-Day" sequence in "Saving Private Ryan".

I liked it, but YMMV...

Lionel