[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 17 09:56:09 CDT 2006

Wed, 16 Aug 2006 @ 12:52 -0600, Dan Duncan said:

> Can you imagine the increase in rear-endings if everyone suddenly slowed
> at intersections?  It would propagate backwards to the previous intersection,
> etc, until suddenly everyone was slower everywhere.  That won't work.

Holtzman's spring constant seems to model traffic rather well... :)

> On a 40mph road, I feel everyone should be going 40mph at least through
> intersections.  It's FAR easier for people trying to turn if oncoming
> cars are going the speed you expect.  Merging is easier too.  I like to
> accelerate hard sometimes, but I can't necessarily hit 80 in the length
> of some merge lanes.  (I imagine this is partly from intersections built
> when the speed limits were lower?)  There there's the people who won't
> accelerate up to speed to merge or, even worse, go to the end of the merge
> lane and JUST STOP waiting for a huge gap to come along.

Yeah... you gotta love the idiots that slow down or even stop in the
ACCELERATION LANES.  I call them "ramp turds".  Usage: today I nearly
got killed because a ramp turd kept me from merging correctly on I64.

The other issue is design stupidity: those ramps which are both
acceleration and deacceleration lanes.  Does no one in traffic
engineering and construction see the contradiction of cars both
accelerating and decelerating in the same lane?

> This is why I need smiting power.

I could never get in my car wearing palladin armor though.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every