[geeks] Dos and similar games

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 15 21:36:45 CDT 2006

Nick B. wrote:
> So let qualified CCW holders carry on flights.
> 	Nick
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:46:36PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> There are THOUSANDS of flights, if you required a Sky Marshal on each flight, it would amount to a .5% tax on the airline's revenues, if you assume the average plane holds 200 passengers (a number I made up becuase the math was easy). To take .5% "off the top" would be a serious blow to the airline industry.
>> If you decided to manage which flights got Sky Marshals (say, only flights where the plane is of a certain size, trip of a certain duration, or the amount of fuel carried on the flight), then you would simply be telling the "bad guys" which flight to go after - the ones on the certain planes, the ones that are under some certain time limint, or that carry less than a certain amount of fuel...
>> Lionel

Better than that:  Not only make it legal for CCW holders to fly armed,
but give airlines incentives to offer fare discounts or class upgrades
to CCW holders on the condition they fly armed.  And to make it
feasible, make it mandatory for all states to honor other states' CCW
permits, just like drivers' licenses and any other legal instrument
(otherwise it'd only protect flights between states with CCW reciprocity).