[geeks] Dos and similar games

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Aug 15 16:02:15 CDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 07:35:00PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:15:48AM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> >
> > Well, to be honest, the LFS is giving me some trouble with a particular
> > mode of a particular video IO card anyway.  The card works fine with a
> > custom kernel on Ubuntu (which is also wildly unsupported by the
> > vendor), so maybe DSL would be worth a shot.
>
> I don;t know what you have, so I can only speak generaly.

You are talking about what I usually try to call the graphics card.  I
am talking about an actual video input and output card.

We aren't running X11 at all.

> That's the usual way of doing things. :-) I've also been installing things
> using apt-get, but sometimes I get things that are too old. What I've
> been experimenting with is keeping a second copy of the file system with
> gcc and the full development libraries installed.

We've been using CHROOTs on disk based Ubuntu machines to build software
for our embedded x86 LFS systems.

> If I understood the debian package system better, I'd probably just make up
> the debs for it.

We use Ubuntu for assorted machines at work, and I certainly wish we
built .debs for the stuff we were installing on them.  One of these days
either I or the IT guy will figure it out.

> > If shoes are anything to go on, in a few weeks people will think we've
> > never been allowed drinks on the plane.
>
> Don't feel bad, we have security guards on most of our buses.

I fail to see anything wrong or even inconvienient with that.  Maybe
visible security guards on all airplanes would be useful.

I think the real reason that they make the sky marshals plain clothes
here is so that the constituants won't notice to complain when the sky
marshalls stop being present.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net