[geeks] HP Journada 720 - $75 (Refurbished, after  rebate)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 15 14:18:16 CDT 2006

>From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
>Date: 2006/08/15 Tue PM 01:26:48 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] HP Journada 720 - $75 (Refurbished, after  rebate)

>On Aug 15, 2006, at 07:06, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> I am still awaiting mine - I also ordered a WiFi and wired ethernet
>> card for it - and I probably won't load an alternate OS on the
>> device, but w/r/t resale value, if it can run Linux/*BSD it has muh
>> more cache/value in the used computer market.
>
>Well, if you're not changing the OS, then you're stuck with (really
>crappy) Windows Mobile 2000 or whatever.

Well, yeah. All I want is mobile email, access to my own web server, and SSH terminal client. I believe all are possible with the built-in software, if not, *BSD is always an option...

>You can find some software
>to make it do cool things, but it actually isn't as nice as if you
>loaded it with Linux. I haven't seen anyone bother to get NetBSD to a
>GUI state, but I've heard that it's possible, and probably no harder
>than doing it on Linux. Linux can run Konqueror, which, is one
>example of having vast superiority over Windows Mobile 2000. Konq can
>do CSS, flash (if you even want that), javascript, dhtml (...). A lot
>of sites really suck on the ancient version of IE bundled with WM2K.
>Additionally, sometimes the software for WM2K does exist to do what
>you want, but it is hard to find the old version that runs on WM2K,
>or the company has even gone out of business, and you cannot procure
>the non-demo version.

It's an impulse purchase - this won't likely displace anything I currently own, but I may find a use for it...

>There was a SomethingAwful thread on this (now archived) which
>contained a lot more information and experiences / questions,
>including people who kept WM2K. From what I saw there, especially if
>you're used to hacking UNIX, you'll probably have to go to more pains
>to make WM2K Work Right than you would if you installed Linux.

I don't hack, I tinker with Unix, but your points are taken...

Lionel