[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Aug 15 12:52:30 CDT 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Steve Haavik wrote:
> > Why?  Studies show there is no significant difference betwixt the two.
> > Banning handhelds is a feel-good measure by people who don't know any
> > better.
>
> Interesting. I read something a couple months ago that likened talking on
> a cellphone while driving to drunken driving.
>
> Hmm. A really old article at cnn.
> http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/05/22/cellphone.bills/index.html
>
> Ah, here it is. It was a Reuters news report. Had to google it.
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13621877/

Did you read the Reuters link?  First sentence:  "People who talk on cell phones while driving,
even using "hands-free" devices, are as impaired as drunk drivers, researchers said Thursday."

Banning handheld while permitting hands-free does NOTHING to improve safety.
It's a feel-good measure by legislators who don't know any better.

-DanD

# Perhaps someday our ability to love won't be so limited." -Crusher