[geeks] Dos and similar games

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 15 05:35:56 CDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 01:46:14PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > It's too soon to discuss the real operating system that will be included
> > in it, but my estimate is that it will be it's own version based loosley upon
> > KNOPPIX and DSL, but tailored to the hardware.
>
> Why KNOPPIX or DSL instead of LFS?  LFS is the route my company went
> with some systems meant to be running from CF.  Sometimes I wonder if it
> was the best choice.

I'm not familar with DFS. I chose DSL (which is based upon KNOPPIX) because
it was familar technology. There even is a book called "Hacking KNOPPIX"
by Wiely.

For an embedded device with little or no configurable hardware or general
purpose use, it may be a bit too much. In my case I found it a lot easier
to go from nothing to a working system.

It's easy to maintain and improve. The biggest problem I'mhaving is that
DSL is based upon Debian sarge, and the lastest version of the packages
I want to install are not available for it.

I also have a problem because one particular package included something
that won't configure when I install it because a directory is missing. :-)

> If people are allowed any carry on on commercial planes by the time you
> get it to market anyway.

People have short memories. In a few weeks, it will be back to normal.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838