[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 14 18:53:02 CDT 2006

>From: Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net>
>Date: 2006/08/14 Mon PM 05:16:55 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Stuff fo' sale

>On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> I would *love* to see an absolute crack down on folks that talk on cell
>> phones while driving (without handsfree).
>
>Why?  Studies show there is no significant difference betwixt the two.
>Banning handhelds is a feel-good measure by people who don't know any
>better.

Lies, Damn Lies, and then Statisitics.

My problem has to do with Personal Observation - I've seen too many people:

"talk on the phone, eat a sandwich, and merge into traffic (twice this year)"

"talk on the phone and merge into traffic, nearly broadsiding a car in traffic (once this year)"

"Talking on the cell phone and not realizing the light has changed (twice this year)"

"Talk on the cellphone and wander through the lanes with reckless disregard for the cars they cut off (about a dozen times a month)"

and my personal favorite - "Eating ice cream with a spoon, talking on the cell phone, and pulling out of the shopping lot onto a highway (once this year)"

I don't believe studies, I believe my eyes...

Lionel
(Not trying to blast you - your question was fair, but that is the basis of my angst)